Join us for the Fall 2021 series:
Virtual Development Economics
Bi-weekly on Tuesdays
8AM (PDT),11AM (EDT), 4PM (BST), 5PM (CEST)
VDEV/CEPR/BREAD Seminars is an online seminar series, featuring invited speakers in the area of Development Economics. It was set up in the spring semester of 2020 as the VDEV seminar and will now continue jointly with CEPR and BREAD. It is organised jointly by CEPR, the University of Geneva (UniGe), Barcelona School of Economics (BSE), Paris School of Economics (PSE), Stockholm School of Economics and BREAD.
- Martina Björkman Nyqvist (Stockholm School of Economics, Misum, BREAD and CEPR)
- Robin Burgess (LSE, BREAD and CEPR)
- Giacomo De Giorgi (IEE/GSEM, University of Geneva, BREAD and CEPR)
- Eliana La Ferrara (Boconni University, BREAD and CEPR)
- Gianmarco León-Ciliotta (U. Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona School of Economics (BSE), IPEG, BREAD and CEPR)
- Karen Macours (PSE, INRAE, BREAD and CEPR)
Schedule for Fall 2021:
Sessions will take place on Tuesdays at 5pm CEST, 4pm BST, 11am EDT, 8am PDT, and last for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The line-up of speakers is as follows:
- 7th September: Erica Field (Duke University, BREAD and CEPR) - A Signal to End Child Marriage: Theory and Experimental Evidence from Bangladesh joint with Nina Buchmann, Rachel Glennerster, Shahana Nazneen and Xiao Yu Wang
- 21st September: Mushfiq Mobarak (Yale University, BREAD and CEPR) - The Causes and Consequences of Ethnic Violence in Myanmar joint with C. Austin Davis, Paula Lopez-Pena and Jaya Wen
- 5th October: Karen Macours (PSE, INRAE, BREAD and CEPR) - Education, Income and Mobility: Experimental Impacts of Childhood Exposure to Progresa after 20 Years joint with M. Caridad Araujo
- 19th October: Penny Goldberg (Yale University and BREAD) - Trade and Informality in the Presence of Labor Market Frictions and Regulations joint with Rafael Dix-Carneiro, Costas Meghir and Gabriel Ulyssea
- 2nd November: Karthik Muralidharan (UC San Diego, BREAD and CEPR)
- 16th November: Mark Rosenzweig (Yale University and BREAD)
- 30th November: Sule Alan (EUI and CEPR)
- 14th December: Dave Donaldson (MIT, , BREAD and CEPR)
Schedule for Spring 2022:
- 1st March: Imran Rasul (UCL, IFS, BREAD and CEPR)
- 15th March: Chris Woodruff (University of Oxford, BREAD and CEPR)
- 29th March: Kate Casey (Stanford University, BREAD and CEPR)
- 12th April: Leonard Wantchekon (Princeton and ASE)
- 26th April: Duncan Thomas (Duke University, BREAD and CEPR)
- 10th May: Martina Björkman Nyqvist (Stockholm School of Economics, Misum, BREAD and CEPR)
- 24th May: Michael Greenstone (University of Chicago and CEPR)
- 7th June: Melissa Dell (Harvard University, BREAD and CEPR)
The seminars are held on Zoom and will consist of a 60 minute presentation, followed by 15 minutes of Q&A.
A moderator will collect questions on the chat and select a few of general interest to be asked to the speaker at reasonable intervals to keep the flow of the seminar. All participants will be muted, and interactions with the speaker are through the chat with the moderator.
In the Q&A portion the moderator will open the microphone up to those participants who have indicated they have a question in the chat with the moderator.
Seminars may be recorded and become available on VDEV's YouTube Channel a few days later. Please note that you may be recorded if you activate your video or speak during the seminar.
Abuse of the seminar will not be tolerated.
Note that the target audience for the seminar is academics. But realizing the possible wider interests in some of the topics, we also live stream *some* seminars on our YouTube Channel.